The foundation of the U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame is built upon the recognition of the competitors and contributors to the sport of cycling. Since 1987, there has been an annual induction of Americans who have achieved tremendous success in racing or who have enhanced the sport of cycling through their lifelong efforts. Nominee consideration looks at achievements that have made significant and extraordinary contributions to the sport of competitive bicycle racing.
Inductees are selected from one of two categories:
- Competitors: Success at the national & international levels is required to achieve selection.
- Contributors: Advanced the sport through contributions in the areas of equipment, coaching, and overall promotion of the competitive sport.
Nominees may come from all disciplines of the sport including
- Road & Track
- Mountain Biking
Categories for the Current Year
- Veteran: Road and Track – 35 years prior to year of nomination.
- Modern: Road and Track – 34 to 5 years prior to year of nomination.
- Off Road (including BMX, Cyclo-cross and Mountain Biking)
- Contributor (any discipline)
Results used for consideration for nominations should end at least 5 years before nomination. Masters, Juniors, and other non-elite results are not considered in the voting.
Authority to Nominate
- Anyone can nominate a candidate, but must provide supporting documentation of the nominee’s accomplishments in order for the nominee to be considered for placement on the ballot. Please be as complete as possible and document major accomplishments. A list of what are considered a nominee's top 10 accomplishments is a good start.
- Submitted documents will not be returned and are retained as part of the Hall of Fame’s archives. Please submit copies of materials you wish to keep.
Balloting & Voting Process
- Submissions may be sent at any time.
- Be sure to review the Hall of Fame Ethics Standards Guidelines
- Complete submissions must be received by April 30th for consideration for the year submitted. Entries received after April 30th will be reviewed for the following year’s ballot.
- The Inductee Selection Committee may ask for more detailed documents and information for a submission and this may delay consideration until the following year’s ballot.
- The USBHOF Inductee Selection Committee will assemble the ballot from the qualified applications submitted. Again, documentation of accomplishments is critical to the process.
- Each Category is represented on its own ballot.
- Ballots are distributed to a group of pre-qualified voters including past inductees, leaders in the cycling industry, media representatives and key players from the sport’s governing bodies across all disciplines of the sport.
- The votes are tallied and the new class of inductees are notified and invited to the annual Induction Ceremony which is open for public attendance and provides the opportunity to meet and greet America’s cycling greats.
Submitting Nomination Forms
Email completed nomination forms to: email@example.com
Or mail completed nomination forms via United States Postal Service to:
U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame
Attn: Nomination & Selection Committee
303 3rd St
Davis, CA 95616
Voting & Selection
The USBHOF Nomination & Selection Committee assembles the ballot from the qualified applications submitted. No more than 10 nominees may appear on a ballot in any category in a given year. Ballots are distributed to a group of pre-qualified voters including past inductees, leaders in the cycling industry, media representatives and key players from the sport’s governing bodies across all disciplines of the sport. The votes are tallied and the new class of inductees are notified and invited to the annual Induction held every fall.
Annual Induction Ceremony
The annual Induction Ceremony will be held in November in Davis, CA, home of the U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame.
Individual tickets can be purchased in advance at the USBHOF online store. Early-bird ticket sales will be available beginning in the summer and advance purchase is recommended as event seating is anticipated to sell-out.
Sponsorships and corporate table purchases will also be available for the event.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org